Changing Minds Foundation to host Down syndrome treatment fundraising event
The Changing Minds Foundation's "Butterfly Flutter By" Down syndrome awareness event is scheduled for 1 p.m. Sunday, April 22.
The Richmond-based nonprofit plans to release 1,000 live butterflies from the Christ Church Cathedral's garden courtyard, located at 1117 Texas Ave. in Houston.
The foundation is accepting donations of $21 to sponsor a butterfly for the event. The donation amount is a reference to the Trisomy 21 chromosomal condition that causes Down syndrome.
"These butterflies taking flight represent freedom from intellectual limitations of persons with Down syndrome," said founder Teresa Cody in a press release from the foundation. "Our Butterfly Flutter By is a fun family event for everyone and a time to celebrate treatment and advancements in research for this most common genetic cause of significant intellectual disability."
For more information or to make a donation, visit www.changingmindsfoundation.org.
- Symphony to play 'Pirates of the Caribbean The Curse of the Black Pearl' score May 30
- Painter's abstract works elicit concrete following
- New business licenses issued in Heights
- Houston Police Department collision call log, April 19
- UpStage Theatre to stage 'Wait Until Dark' beginning May 24
Local Advertising by PaperG