Baseball: Reagan, Davis to meet Friday
The District 21-4A baseball championship has been long-decided, with Waltrip continuing its dominance over the rest of the competition.
But the league's No. 2 seed will be decided on Friday, April 29, when Reagan and Davis battle at Delmar Sports Complex. The teams were tied for second place heading into the final regular season game.
"Both teams are already in the playoffs, but we're playing for position," said Davis head coach J.P. Cortez. "Potentially, you could get a better match-up as the second seed. That's what we're hoping for."
Reagan head coach David Petty said it's a huge match-up, made even bigger by the Bulldogs' recent 9-8 setback to Austin.
"Obviously, this is a game we'd really like to win," Petty said. "We'd prefer to be the No. 2 team from the district. We also don't want to lose our last game before the playoffs start."
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Davis Panthers (10-10-2, 8-3 in District 21-4A) vs. Reagan Bulldogs (11-11, 8-3)
• When: 4:30 p.m., Friday, April 29
• Where: Delmar Sports Complex
• What's at stake: The winner clinches second place from District 21-4A in the upcoming Class 4A-Region III playoffs.
• Davis players to watch: C Alfonso DeLaGarza, P/SS Steven Sotelo, OF J.J. Merla, 2B/P Ray Ramirez, 3B/P Ricardo Ramirez, OF A.J. Merla, IF/DH/P Frank Montana.
• Reagan players to watch: 3B/P Eric Pizano, SS Gabriel Maldonado, P/OF Trevor O'Reilly, 2B Dylan Wilburn, 1B Alex Tyson.
• Davis: The Panthers stomped Sharpstown 14-1 as Ray Ramirez got the win on the mound. DeLaCruz and Sotelo power Davis' offensive attack, each hitting close to .400.
• Reagan: The Bulldogs were in the driver's seat, before their upset to Austin. Reagan held a lead against the Mustangs going into the top of the seventh inning before giving up three runs. Wilburn took the loss for the Bulldogs, who were outhit 14-10 and committed four errors.
Local Advertising by PaperG