Reagan goes for upset vs. Waltrip
Waltrip has been the unmovable force in District 21-4A baseball for the past decade.
"Waltrip's the top dog in our district until somebody can knock them off," said Reagan head coach David Petty. "They're really good, but we'd like another crack at them."
Petty's Bulldogs will get that opportunity on Friday, April 8, at Delmar Sports Complex. It's a battle between the league's top two teams.
Reagan played Waltrip closer than anyone in District 21-4A in the first meeting, a 4-0 Rams victory a few weeks ago.
"We feel like we can compete with Waltrip," Petty said. "Beating them is a whole different matter, but we'll give it our best shot."
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Reagan Bulldogs vs. Waltrip Rams
• When: 7 p.m., Friday, April 8
• Where: Delmar Sports Complex
• What's at stake: Waltrip is trying to stay unbeaten in District 21-4A and claim yet another league title. Reagan is on track to earn the second seed in the Class 4A playoffs, but the Bulldogs can shake things up with a victory.
• Reagan players to watch: SS Dylan Wilburn, 3B/P Armondo Rocha, OF/P Trevor O'Reilly, 3B/P Eric Pizano, 2B Gabriel Maldonado, 1B Alex Tyson.
• Waltrip players to watch: P/2B Zechariah Lemond, P/2B Moises Castillo, SS Dominic Cano, 3B Jonathan Juarez, OF/P Colin Webb, 1B/OF Van Wilhelm.
• Reagan: The Bulldogs stayed in second place in District 21-4A, edging Davis 6-5 before pounding Sharpstown 14-2. O'Reilly, a freshman, leads a powerful offense with a .457 average. He's followed by Maldonado (.408), Pizano (.385), Rocha (.362) and Tyson (.333).
• Waltrip: The Rams ran their league mark to a perfect 7-0 in league play, rolling past Austin 9-1 and Davis 8-0. Waltrip boasts the top pitching rotation, led by Rice signee Lemond (3-1, 0.24 ERA) and Castillo (3-2, 1.73 ERA). Veteran coach Jim Teel says hitting has been a problem for the Rams, but Cano (.392, 10 RBI, 22 runs, nine stolen bases), Juarez (.412) and Webb (.325) have been the most proficient at the plate.
Local Advertising by PaperG