Yates to face rival Washington
Two familiar foes will meet in the first round of the Class 4A-Region III playoffs. Yates and Washington, former district foes, will meet on Tuesday, Feb. 15, at Delmar Sports Complex.
The Lions, coached by Patrick Augbon, are heavily favored in the cost. Yates was ranked No. 8 in the state by the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches and is among the top contenders in Region III.
The Eagles have struggled through a rebuilding season, but head coach Sylvia Anderson got Washington back to postseason yet again.
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Yates Lions vs. Washington Eagles
• When: 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, Feb. 15
• Where: Delmar Sports Complex
• What's at stake: The winner will try to advance to the area round to face the Friendswood-Lamar Consolidated winner.
• Yates players to watch: G Deann Darjean, G Alexis Jackson, PG Jaeshia Johnson, F Jaylen Harris, P Jessica Manuel, G Kyuara Rider, G Elisha Ray, F/P Gabby Mackey, F/P Keshia Tucker.
• Washington players to watch: G Candice Collins, G Regina Smith, PG Dominique Farwell, F/P Arlyn Williams, F/P Indya Spencer.
• Yates: The Lions blasted Sterling 87-46 to complete a perfect 14-0 run through District 21-4A. Yates relies on its guard tandem of Darjean (18.6 points per game) and Jackson (17.2).
• Washington: The Eagles dropped their final three regular season games to slip to fourth place in District 22-4A.
Local Advertising by PaperG